One way you can take care of your body and health is by making sure to have annual tests and checkups done. Women, in particular, have a few different medical exams that doctors recommend.
- Mammogram: Yearly mammos starting at age 40 are advised if your breast cancer risk is elevated because of a personal or family history.
- Skin Check: Catch skin cancer early when it’s highly curable.
- Eye Exam: Women are more likely to experience eyesight problems because they have higher risks for dry-eye syndrome and autoimmune diseases that affect eye health.
- Hearing Test: Around age 50 is when hearing typically begins to decline.
- Periodontal Exam: Check for gum inflammation because that can contribute to heart disease and diabetes.
- TSH Screening: Cold, tired, achy, constipated, gaining weight–all of these are symptoms of hypothyroidism, a deficiency of the thyroid gland.
- Blood Tests: Get your cholesterol and blood sugar checked to prevent a heart attack and diabetes.
- Pap Smear: Get this done to check for cervical cancer.
- Colonoscopy: A camera will scan your colon for cancerous polyps while sedated.
- Depression Screening: Depression affects one in four women in their lives but is often undiagnosed.
Take care of yourself and live a longer, healthier, and happier life!