You may have noticed that Pilates and Yoga have gained much popularity over the past couple years. Although, it is more than just a fad. There are many health benefits to both forms of non-aerobic exercising.
Pilates is great for lengthening and stretching all the major muscle groups. It requires much concentration, and it makes you find that center of balance to help you control your body through various movements. The workouts consist of intense concentration through a variety of exercise sequences that are performed in low repetitions.
The health benefits of Pilates include:
- Improved muscle strength and tone
- Increased flexibility and strength of the abdominals and back
- Improved posture and rehabilitation/prevention of injuries
- Increased lung capacity and circulation
- Improved concentration
- Increased body awareness
- Stress management and relaxation
Yoga techniques encourage effort, intelligence, accuracy, commitment, and dedication. It emphasizes bringing the body and mind together through exercise, breathing and meditation. The positions in yoga put pressure on the glandular systems of your body, which improve your health. When practiced regularly, yoga can help you achieve physical, mental and emotional wellbeing.
Some of the health benefits of Yoga are:
- Improved muscular and postural strength
- Increased flexibility of the muscles and joints
- Reduced fatigue
- Reduced pain and muscle stiffness
- Enhanced ability to concentrate
- Improved energy levels and ability to cope with stress
Calm Your Mind and Body
Yoga and Pilates are a great way to change up your workout regimen and add something beneficial to your life to improve your body and overall wellbeing. Try it out, whether individually or in a class. You’ll see positive results and feel great as well!