Whether your a cyclist, swimmer, runner or triathlete, the long, grueling workouts take a toll on your body. As endurance athletes, you know how important it is to keep your energy levels up. Food = Energy… So, which foods should you consume? Here is a list of some of the best foods you can eat as an endurance athlete:
- Quinoa: This high-energy grain is very high in protein and is a good source of manganese, magnesium, iron, zinc, potassium and calcium. Bonus! It’s also gluten free!
- Almond Butter: A great and healthy alternative to peanut butter, almond butter contains high amounts of protein, calcium, fiber, magnesium, folic acid, potassium, and vitamin E.
- Leafy Greens: Some of these include kale, swiss chard, and collard greens. They are all full of nutrients vital for athletic performance: calcium, vitamin c, magnesium, zinc, iron and many other nutrients.
- Salmon: This is a great source of protein and one of the best sources of the essential fatty acid omega 3. Essential fatty acids help you burn excess fat, restore health to the cardiovascular system, relieve arthritis pain and inflammation, strengthen the immune system, improve oxygen transport and muscle maintenance. Power food? I think so.
- Oatmeal: A great source of complex carbohydrates that is easy to digest.
- Brown Rice Pasta: This pasta alternative is much better for you and is also gluten free.
- Sprouted Grain Bread: A better alternative to whole grain breads, and it’s much easier to digest because it only contains a few ingredients. Just grains, no flour.
- Raw Superfoods: Cacao (raw chocolate) is the actual fruit where chocolate comes from. It is the HIGHEST antioxidant food on the planet and the #1 source of magnesium and iron. Hemp is a great source of protein and omega 3’s. Maca is a root vegetable that helps to increase energy, endurance and strength.
- Fruit: Satisfy your sugar cravings without adding to your waistline. Lots of vitamin c and antioxidants.
- Vegetables: Add as many of these as possible into your diet!
Hungry? I know I am. Healthy food has never tasted so good. Eat well, boost your energy, feel good, and get in some great workouts!